Boil Kettle


When I finally decided to step up my brewing to all-grain, I needed to purchase bigger brewing kettles. My 5 gallon stock pots just weren't going to cut boiling all that wort. A fellow member of my homebrew club was selling kegs with tops cut out for cheap. So, I purchased two of them. The plan is to use one for a hot liqour tank and the other for a boil kettle. These sat in my garage for some time while I contemplated exactly what I wanted my future all-grain setup to look like. It is still a work in progress as I add more to the setup, but my plan is to have a HERMS or RIMS system one of these days. Therefore, I added extra ports on the two kegs to handle future additions of equipment. The first thing I had to do with these kegs is clean them up on the outside and inside. I did that with a sander and some Bar Keeper's Friend cleaner. Once cleaned up, I marked my locations for holes for the welded fittings. I wanted welded fittings for durability. I purchased the necessary stainless fittings and a step bit to drill the holes. After drilling the holes and cleaning the kegs up again to remove cutting oil, I dropped them off at a relative's house to have the fittings welded. Once I got them back, I added the valves and thermometers and plugs. I also added a permanent copper submersion chiller to the boil kettle. The copper was purchased a few years ago as a birthday gift to use for a chiller. Patience finally paid off once I got these kettles and added the coil. Then, I began my cold and hot leak tests. The cold test went well, but a hot leak test revealed my solder joint in the copper coil was not done properly. Once corrected and another hot leak test confirming the fix, I was in business to begin brewing.

Kettle Front

The front.

Kettle Inside

Inside view.

Kettle Side

The side.

Kettle Coil

The coil.

Kettle Fittings

The fittings.